/ˈso͞oəˌsīd/ Suicide is the intentional act of taking one's own life.
If you're suicidal, or reading this, there is a part of you seeking help. Please seek help immediately.
Living God, I feel alone. I long for a peace that feels unattainable in my life now. I am walking through the valley of the shadow of death. My God, do not forsake me. Open my heart to the movement of your Spirit. Help me to not lean on the world for happiness, acceptance or healing, and instead, to lean on you. Grant me your peace that in turn may set my life at peace. Christ came that I may have abundant life--not only in the hereafter, but also in the here and now. Build up in me a courageous spirit so that I may fight for life, seek help, honestly share my feelings and be gifted with the support of others during this difficult time. I choose life, Lord. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
- Jeremiah 29:11 - God has plans to give you hope and a future
- Ezekiel 37:1-14 - God gives new life to dry bones
- Psalm 40:1-3 - I waited patiently for the Lord, who inclined and heard my cry
- Deuteronomy 30:19-20 - Choose life
- Deuteronomy 31:8 - God goes before you and will be with you always
- Psalm 23 - Even in the valley of the shadow of death, God is with me.
- Philippians 4:13-14 - I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.
- Romans 8:35-39 - Nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ
- The Book of Job - Job's experience of loss, loneliness, depression and healing
- Isaiah 43:1-2, 5, 18-19 - Do not be afraid; God is with you
- John 10:10 - Jesus came that all may have abundant life
For Immediate Help
- Emergency: 911
- SAVE Suicide Hotline: 888-511-7283
- National Suicide Hopeline: 800-784-2433
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255
- Four County Crisis Response Team: 800-635-8008
- Wright County Mental Health Crisis Line: 800-635-8008
- Wright County Mental Health Crisis Text Line: Text "MN" to 741741
- NAMI Minnesota - namimn.org (see also nami.org)
- Central MN Mental Health Center - cmmhc.org
- Monticello Middle School - mental health resource list for all ages (including school-based student support services): monticello.k12.mn.us/domain/174
- Minnesota Mental Health Helpline - mental health information, referrals, programs: call 800-862-1799 or email
Recommended Reading, Website & Videos
- Cracked, Not Broken: Surviving and Thriving After a Suicide Attempt, by Kevin Hines
- Let Your Life Speak, by Parker Palmer
- Fierce Goodbye: Living in the Shadow of Suicide, by G. Lloyd Carr and Gwendolyn C. Carr
- Why?, by Adam Hamilton
- Allina Health's suggested books for those grieving a suicide (all ages): Books for Grieving a Suicide
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Video: Mayo Clinic: Teen Suicide Prevention
- Video: It was an Instant Regret: The Kevin Hines Story