Stress & Anxiety
/stres/ Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances.
/aNGˈzīədē/ Anxiety is a feeling of worry, nervousness or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.
Almighty God, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Break through my worries with a reminder of your presence. Enable me to be still and trust in you; to breathe deep and inhale the presence of your Spirit. As it says in Isaiah 43, when I pass through the waters, you are with me. So help me not to fear, for you have redeemed me, you have called me by name and I am yours forever. Give me strength and courage, and surround me with a support system of love and care. Lastly, please grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to distinguish one from the other. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
- Isaiah 43:1-2, 5, 18-19 - Do not be afraid; God is with you
- Philippians 4:4-9 - Submit your worries to God in prayer, focus on that which is
good and the peace of God will be yours
- Jeremiah 29:11 - God has plans to give you hope and a future
- Matthew 6:25-34 - Do not worry; God does and will care for you
- Deuteronomy 31:8 - God goes before you and will be with you always
- Philippians 4:13-14 - I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.
- Romans 8:26-28 - The Spirit intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words
- Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the Lord and not on your own understanding
- Ephesians 3:16-20 - God is able to accomplish more than we can ask or imagine
Local and General Resources
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) - Minnesota
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
Monticello Middle School - mental health resource and counseling lists for all ages (including school-based student support services)
- Minnesota Mental Health Helpline - mental health information, referrals, programs: call 800-862-1799 or email
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Music for the Soul - soul care through music and stories
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Anxiety Foundation
- Overcomepanic.com - Christian help for anxiety, panic and fear
- Mayo Clinic: Anxiety Disorders
Podcasts & Recommended Reading
- Wellness in Color: Healing Through Community (Geet Mittal)
- Wellness in Color: The Pressures of Perfection (Aneela Kumar)
Books & Articles:
- The Chemistry of Calm: A Powerful, Drug-Free Plan
to Quiet Your Fears and Overcome Your Anxiety,
by Henry Emmons
- The Worried Child: Recognizing Anxiety in Children
and Helping Them Heal, by Paul Foxman
- Dancing with Fear: Controlling Stress and Creating
a Life Beyond Panic and Anxiety, by Paul Foxman
- "Stress Management"
- "Tips to Manage Anxiety and Stress"
Books for Children: