/ēdiNG diˈsôrdər/ Eating disorders are serious conditions related to persistent eating behaviors that negatively impact one's health, emotions and ability to function in important areas of life.
Holy God, Scripture says I am fearfully and wonderfully made, yet I have difficulty seeing beauty in this body of mine. Help me to see myself the way you see me. Guide me on this journey so that I may know healing and health throughout my life. Give me the grace to take one day at a time, and commit each thought and feeling to your care. Above all, lift me up with the support of people who love me, a faith that grounds me and hope in my Savior who believes in me. Amen.
- Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
- Psalm 46:1-3, 10-11 - God is our refuge and strength
- Psalm 107 - Thanksgiving for deliverance from many troubles
- Romans 12:2 - Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds
- Matthew 6:34 - Do not worry about tomorrow; today's troubles are enough
- Jeremiah 29:11-13 - God's plans to give you hope and a future
- 1 Corinthians 16:13 - Keep alert, stand firm in faith
- Romans 8 - Nothing separates us from the love of God
- Isaiah 43:1-3 - When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; do not be afraid
Local and General Resources
- Melrose Center (952.993.6200) - care for all ages and genders battling any type of eating disorder
- The Emily Program (866.698.4188) - compassionate and personalized eating disorder awareness, treatment and recovery
- Waters Edge Counseling and Healing Center (952.898.5020) - reclaiming lives limited by eating disorders, depression, anxiety, trauma and other psychological/behavioral struggles.
- Eating Disorder Referral and Information Center - free eating disorder support groups (online and in person)
- National Eating Disorders Association - helpline, screening tool, treatment options and awareness at the national level
- Wasted Updated Edition: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia (P.S.), by Marya Hornbacher
- Life Without Ed: How One Woman Declared Independence from her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too, by Jenni Schaefer
- Anorexia and Bulimia: Control that is Out of Control, by June Hunt
- Brave Girl Eating: A Family's Struggle with Anorexia, by Harriet Brown
- Body Talk, by Nancy Rue
- Made to Crave for Young Women: Satisfying Your Deepest Desires with God, by Lysa TerKeurst
- More Than Skin Deep: A Guide to Self & Soul, by Crystal Kirgiss