/ˈkerˌɡivər/ a person who provides direct care (as for children, elderly people or those who are chronically ill)
Gracious and Holy God, you have called me to enter into this caregiving journey with someone I care about deeply. But Lord, it's not easy. When the work of the day extends to all twenty-four hours, I often wonder if I'll ever rest again. Sometimes I begin to resent this great responsibility. When that happens, I feel selfish and become plagued by guilt. Forgive my imperfections, sustain me with your Spirit and strengthen me for what lies ahead. I'm often afraid it will never end, and at the same time, I'm afraid it will. Give me peace and rest; courage and compassion. Today, I lift up those who are helping and supporting me. May they feel blessed in this time and not burdened. I also pray for my loved one who is experiencing this dependence on my care. May they know that you are with them and that your Holy Spirit is surrounding them. Grant the pair of us your peace that passes all understanding. In the name of Christ I pray. Amen.
- Colossians 3:23-24 - Whatever you do, do it with heart for the Lord
- Matthew 25:31-40 - Whatever you did for one of the least of these, you did for me
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 - Always give yourself fully to the word of God.
- Hebrews 6:10 - God will not forget your work serving others
- Deuteronomy 31:8 - God goes before you and will be with you always
- Psalm 121 - My help comes from the Lord
- Psalm 46 - God is our refuge and strength; be still and know that I am God!
- Psalm 27 - God is the stronghold of my life; I will always live in the Lord's house
- Matthew 7:7-8 - Ask, seek, knock
- Philippians 4:13-14 - I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me.
- The Caregiver's Toolbox: Checklists, Forms, Resources, Mobile Apps and Straight Talk to Help You Provide Compassionate Care, by Carolyn P. Hartley and Peter Wong
- The Caregiver's Survival Handbook: Caring for Your Aging Parents Without Losing Yourself, by Alexis Abramson
- "Taking Care of YOU: Self-Care for Family Caregivers"
- 124 Prayers for Caregivers, by J. Guntzelman
- The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, Other Dementias and Memory Loss, by Nancy Mace and Peters Rabins
- "Caring for the Caregiver" booklet
- Dementia Support Group for Caregivers - CentraCare Monticello
- Caring for Nancy - advice, resources, consulting and services for caregivers: (see "You Are Not Alone!" article for list of local support group offerings and other MN-based resources)
- Music for the Soul - soul care through music and stories
- Allina Health Resource List for Caregivers
- Caregiver Action Network - resources for all caregiving situations
- Family Caregiver Alliance - education, policy and advocacy, connecting with others (classes, events, camps, stories)
- U.S. Government Resources (local and federal) for Caregivers