What's Next for The United Methodist Church?
This is a challenging time for The United Methodist Church. There is much to be determined about the future of the denomination after the General Conference 2019 vote around human sexuality. Below, you will find links to articles, events and resources to keep you involved and informed in the days and months ahead.
- Answers to Questions Posed by MN Conference Clergy When Debriefing General Conference 2019 During the Bishop's All-Clergy Gathering
- FAQs: Post-Judicial Council Ruling
- Article related to what in The Book of Discipline is adaptable to central conferences
- Article About Connectional Table Perspectives on the Future of the Denomination (the Connectional Table works to coordinate the work of general agencies and the mission, ministry and resources of the denomination)
- Article regarding Judicial Council rulings
- Summit Plans Inclusive Methodist Movement
- Planning New Directions for the Church
- Judicial Council Ruling on the Traditionalist Plan
- Judicial Council Ruling on the Disaffiliation Plan
- Star Tribune Article regarding Judicial Council rulings
- Bishops respond to Judicial Council rulings
Working Toward a Fully-Inclusive Methodist Church:
The Inclusive Methodist Movement is meant to serve as a connector of the conversations and information in a time where much is happening, often faster than we can keep up. To share resources and suggestions and/or to sign up for updates, please email
Opportunities to Engage
- Help staff the Minnesota Methodists table at this year's Annual Conference session (June 18-20)
- June 18 Annual Conference Gathering
- Save the date for Leadership Institute (September 25-27, 2019) at The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection. Registration will be open in May.
- Donate to the Ministry of Minnesota Methodists
- Save the Date for a youth and young adults rally at the United Methodist Church of Anoka on September 28.
- Sign the "God Loves All People So Do We" Letter
- Share Your Vision for an Inclusive Church
- Strategic Road Map for Minnesota Methodists
- March 14 Minnesota Reconciling Meeting Recording
- March 14 Minnesota Reconciling Meeting Handout
- March 14 Minnesota Reconciling Meeting Next Steps
- Reconciling Ministries Network Statement on Judicial Council rulings
Organizations Committed to Maintaining a Traditional Methodist Church:
- Statement of the WCA Council on Next Steps
- Wesleyan Covenant Association Article regarding Judicial Council rulings
- TED Talk: How I Have Conversations with People Who Hate Me
- TED Talk: How to Deconstruct Racism, One Headline at a Time