As news about the Coronavirus Disease 2019 or COVID-19 continues to spread, it is important that we, a people of faith, stay connected, prayerful and grounded in our shared love of God and neighbor. Pastor Ralph is committed to walking with you in this time of questions and uncertainty. Most importantly, God is with us and will continue to be in the days, weeks and months ahead. The words of the prophet Isaiah come to mind:
But now thus says the Lord, the one who created … [and] formed you, O Israel: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mind. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
For the safety and wellbeing of all, a CUMC COVID-19 Planning and Response Team has been assembled to help us prevent the spread of the infection of this virus and others. This team has been actively involved in researching and adopting mitigation practices and facility re-opening plans to help keep the church healthy. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and be in regular communication with you.
Should you not want to come to in-person worship, we will be livestreaming our Sunday worship services and we hope you will join us online! To watch the service live, go to our home page and click on “watch live.” To watch the service at a different time throughout the week, go to the home page and scroll down to the current sermon series graphic. Click on “watch.”
We are living in a scary and seemingly unprecedented time, but we also know that God is faithful, and God will provide. As Isaiah 43:19 says, “I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.” Together, we can be a calming presence in our community because we are a people of hope! We believe in the resurrection, that life triumphs over death and that hope wins out over fear.
Please don't hesitate to let Pastor Ralph know if you have any questions or concerns. He is here to support you, your families, your ministries and your spiritual growth however possible. In the meantime, know that you are held in prayer.
Simple Actions to Prevent the Spread of Infection:
- Stay at home when sick, as isolation is one of the best means to minimize viral spread
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (you might consider praying the Lord’s Prayer while you wash), and help young children do the same. If no soap and water, use 60% (or greater) alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, or cough/sneeze into your upper sleeve. Immediately throw away used tissues and wash or sanitize your hands
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Avoid close contact (use a 6 ft rule), sharing cups, or sharing eating utensils
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces, such as: toys, doorknobs, light switches, tables, countertops and electronics (e.g. computer keypad and mouse, touch screens)
- Practice good health habits: get plenty of sleep and exercise, manage stress, drink recommended amounts of water and eat nutritious food, as these all help increase immunity to fight disease
- Wear a mask per CDC guidelines